Sunday, January 26, 2014

Into the new normal

This was a mixed week. It was great to get back into the office and I was busy. Some days were easy to get out the door and feel like myself. Some not. Friday was tough mentally. Saturday was tough physically. Focusing on the physical, I wasn't prepared for the pain associated with hair loss. After several days of physical discomfort - best described as each hair shaft feeling like a splinter in the skin when anything grazed against the grain - I finally dug around online and learned that this was a common side effect. After a 1 blade and a lot of cooling lotion, I am much more comfortable and more fully GI Kelly. A funny note about that - last night Miles told me he wished his hair was long like mine. Hmmm. When I asked why he said he wanted to look like me. I reassured him he did and left it at that. It takes some work to convince myself that this is what recovery looks like. Mostly, I think it is time for me to just keep my head down and keep moving forward. I'm not a runner but this must be what marathon training is like. Lots of one foot in front of the other. And so on. We are having a "normal" weekend. Jim took Miles to the Monster Jam show at Verizon Center. So normal. I went to a movie with a girlfriend. Nice to find some time in the schedule. Ian is back. Coos. Big belly laughs. The wide-open mouth face-plant all moms generously interpret as a kiss. The new normal isn't bad it just hard to believe it is ours.